Thursday, November 8, 2007

Rocky Roads

This morning as I headed up to church I first noticed the brisk morning air and the thick frost on the grass. Not long after that I was struck by the dramatic lack of leaves on the trees about a mile north of my home. The drive continued to be marked by moments with trees full of colorful leaves while others were barren. The thought of leaves and changes of seasons suddenly shifted as traffic slowed to a snail’s pace. With lights flashing ahead the vehicles inched along closer to the reason for our slow speed. All at once it became clear what the reason was, as my car began to feel like I was driving down the road to Camp Wightman; I saw and felt the rocks scattered all over the highway. The road was bumpy with rocks. The rocks on the surface that were forcing us to slow down contrasted with the rocks interwoven into the composite pavement that only a few minutes ago provided a smooth surface to drive on. One might suggest that the rocks, our rough places, can be made smooth when we work together to fill the gaps and support one another through their bumpy places. May God continue to help us fill the gaps even when the rough places still exist.

No comments: