As I am working on preparations for our Thanksgiving meal memories flood my head of family and friends. Growing up we had the “traditional” food - at least, what my family felt was traditional. Over the years we gathered in different homes with different groups of people, but we always had the same sweet potato casserole. After Scott and I were married I tried to replicate the memory from my childhood with little success. I had moved 3000 miles away from the Pacific Northwest and the variety of sweet potatoes I was accustomed to. It seems like a tiny thing, but I so wanted to continue the tradition I knew. In the early years of our marriage I tried different combinations, and varieties, until I worked out ingredients for our sweet potato casserole. I do not recall what the potatoes of my youth tasted like anymore, but the memory opened an opportunity to try new things, until finally a new recipe emerged. Finding a new thing took time and risk, but where the recipe has evolved fits where we are, and who we are today.
May your holiday be a time of connection.
Peace and blessings,
Amy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment