Today as I find myself procrastinating. I am wondering if it okay to procrastinate and if so, do we know it? It seems there are times when procrastination in itself allows for rest. Yesterday I was reminded that so often one hears people say they do not have enough time, but I wonder if it is really about time. Might it be instead be personal choice with how one spends their time? What is important to do at this moment in time? Is it important to become a gifted juggler and be able to balance everything without rest? Or might there be moments when it is okay to put something off or even not get it done? When we have to make choices of between two options, which do we chose? Do we make choices out of guilt or out of seeking wholeness?
For me procrastination seems to come at several times:
1. When I need rest.
2. When I am focused on time, schedules, and deadlines instead of being present where I am.
3. When the activity I am procrastinating about is less important to me than something else in life.
Today my procrastination is leading me to:
Clear my head.
Rest my eyes from all the reading I have on my plate.
Take care of other “stuff” that needs to get done.
Take time to breathe and notice life around (the sun streaming in the windows, the snow slowly melting, the trees awaiting the spring, and more…)
I am left with more questions:
What do we procrastinate from?
What does procrastination lead to?
What things do we not procrastinate about? And are these things that fill us in a way nothing else does?
The disciples were left in a form of procrastination not knowing where Jesus was leading. They needed only to be present, because they could not see the future. They and we can only take one step at a time. But Christ was with them as they journeyed, and Christ will and does walk with us today.
Friday, March 9, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I often wonder whether my procrastination leaves me more fulfilled in the long run - the problem is, there's almost no way to know.
Certainly waiting on things can lead to new opportunities, or a way to make the effort less onerous in the end.
For myself, as long as the procrastination doesn't lead to extra stress later on, then it can often do me some good.
Post a Comment