I thought today I would post a simple concept, but one that is good to remember. Howard Thurman heard this message repeated again and again, from his grandmother who retold the only message her preacher ever preached. This quote can be found in Howard Thurman’s With Head and Heart, page 21.
“You are God’s children!”
Later he goes on to tell us that his professors “[touched at a place in ourselves beyond all our faults and all our virtues. They placed over our heads a crown that for the rest of our lives we would be trying to grow tall enough to wear. This was a gift far greater than the imparting of information and facts.” This is also found in Howard Thurman’s With Head and Heart, page 41.
As God’s children we are glorious, and we can find confidence in that place, as well as challenge. We are all children of God. And loved by the one who made us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I believe that if parents or teachers have no expectations of their children/students, the child/student will not rise above those low expectations.
I see and expect that you will continue to grow stronger and wiser and even more loving than you are now.
But isn't it always easier to have positive expectations of others than to have the same for oneself?
--Mom
I'm sitting and watching MASH just as I read this post, and Father Mulcahy (?) just said "we are all God's children."
A wonderful message for us at all times.
Post a Comment